Fairfield's Historical Landmarks
Fairfield, Connecticut is comprised of three historic districts that include the town hall, the public library and several historical homes. With around 75 of these notable buildings, Fairfield’s history is plentiful, and the town is fortunate to have maintained these structures as a reminder of its past. The three historic districts in Fairfield are the Greenfield Hill Historic District, the Southport Historic District and the Old Post Road Historic District.
The Greenfield Hill District is primarily made up of historical sites on Bronson Road. One of the oldest properties in town, dating back to 1750, stands at #1520 and was a home built by the original owner, David Ogden. Although it deteriorated through the years, in 1930, an architectural historian restored this saltbox colonial home and it now belongs to the town of Fairfield and is in use as a museum. Another old home that still stands, located at #3171, was built in 1757 by Rev. Seth Pomeroy. Through the years, the home has also been used as a store and an insurance office. Other historical locations on Bronson Road include the Fairfield Country Day School built in 1891 and the Bronson Windmill built in 1894.
The Southport Historic District is home to two historic railroad stations. One, heading Westbound, is still in use today by Metro North, running trains on the New Haven line. The Eastbound station is now home to a restaurant but was built in 1884 and is a brick station with a decorative roof. Other historical locations in the Southport District include the Pequot Library and the original location of the Southport Telephone Exchange.
The Old Post Road Historic District is at the center of the town of Fairfield. One of the town’s most well-known landmarks stands at #739 and was built in 1790. The original home that stood before this was built in 1732 by Aaron Burr’s uncle, Thaddeus Burr. A beautiful location during the time of the American Revolution, the home hosted names such as John Adams, Samuel Adams and George Washington. Major political leader, John Hancock, married his wife, Dorothy Quincy, at the mansion in 1775. Unfortunately, with Fairfield, Connecticut being one of the first English settlements, the British targeted and attacked the town, setting it on fire and destroying a large portion of it in 1779. The mansion was destroyed during the fire, but Hancock insisted that it be rebuilt. In 1790, the home was completed and stood as a prominent and social location for the town’s people. The home was remodeled through the years, but its original structure still stands and is owned by the town. It is often used for weddings and is home to the Burr Homestead Gardens.
Among the many historical landmarks in Fairfield, Connecticut, another notable location is the Penfield Reef Lighthouse, built in 1874. Located on the south side of Black Rock Turnpike, this lighthouse protected boaters from crashing into a dangerous reef in Long Island Sound. The US Coast Guard planned on replacing the lighthouse in 1969 but the residents of Fairfield fought to keep the original structure and it is still active today.
“David Ogden House (1750).” Historic Buildings of Connecticut,